Quantcast

Viewing Maine's coast and islands lighthouses are romantic sights

Maine’s craggy peninsulas, inlets, and islands are home to more than 60 lighthouses -- the most of any New England state. Many of the lighthouses have distinctive characters and groups of fans. The famous Cape Neddick ("Nubble") Light in the south coast town of York is festooned with lights at Christmas. West Quoddy Head Light in Lubec, on the Bay of Fundy, is located on the easternmost point of the United States. Lighthouses that have adjoining museums or gift shops include Portland Head Light and Museum in Cape Elizabeth; West Quoddy Light in Lubec; the Grindle Point Lighthouse and Sailors' Memorial Museum in Islesboro, the Marshall Point Lighthouse and Museum in Port Clyde, and the Monhegan Island Light and Museum in Monhegan. One lighthouse, Isle au Haut Light, offers overnight accommodations.
Our thanks to the generous help of Jeremy D'Entremont. See more lighthouses at www.lighthouses.cc. Photos by Jeremy D'Entremont.

Sailing from Ports in Rockland, Rockport and Camden, ME, 04843 Phone: 207-374-2993 Toll-Free: 800-807-9463

Coastal Maine life embraces you on a windjammer cruise

We’ve all seen gorgeous photos of classic Maine lighthouses viewed from the land. Change your perspective and get a sailor’s eye view of the lighthouses while you enjoy the experience of a lifetime on a Maine windjammer cruise. These majestic merchant ships, built in the 19th century to carry cargo, have three to five masts and square sails; a view of them moving the Maine coast is riveting. The Maine Windjammer Association operates nine of these ships out of ports in the Midcoast towns of Rockland and Camden. All-inclusive cruises of three to six days take you among spectacular scenery, views of eagles and porpoises, and magical islands. Meals are made for a hearty appetites: fish chowders, lobster; blueberry pancakes. Is there a sailor in your soul?

Great Duck Island Light

Location: Blue Hill Bay approach

Accessibility: The lighthouse is not open to the public; it is best viewed by boat. Information: College of the Atlantic at 207-288-5015. The facility: Lighthouse built in 1890. Light flashes red every five seconds; fog signal is one blast every 15 seconds.

The Cuckolds Lighthouse

Location: Boothbay Harbor approach, off Cape Newagen

Accessibility: The lighthouse is not open to the public; it is accessible by boat and helicopter only. Views are possible from the public landing in Southport and from sightseeing cruises out of Boothbay Harbor. The facility: Active U.S. Coast Guard aid to navigation. Lighthouse built in 1907. Light flashes two white flashes every six seconds; fog signal is one blast every 15 seconds.

Wood Island Lighthouse

Location: About 2 miles east of the mouth of the Saco River

Accessibility: Wood Island can be reached only by boat. The island and lighthouse are not open to the public, except through tours run by the Friends of Wood Island Lighthouse. The Friends’ vessel, Light Runner, departs Vines Landing in Biddeford Pool at 6 p.m. on Wednesdays and at 1 p.m. and 2 p.m. on Saturdays and Sundays, in season. The trip and tour take about two hours. There is no cost but donations are appreciated. The trips are first come, first served. Participants tour the house and see inside the tower, but climbing the tower is not part of the tour. For more information, contact Sheri Poftak at semley-poftak@maine.rr.com.
The island and lighthouse can be seen distantly from a walking trail. Wood Island Light can be seen from the walking trail at the East Point Audubon Sanctuary. Directions to trail: Take Route 9/208 (Pool Road) south from Biddeford for five miles, turning left on 208 toward Biddeford Pool. After 0.6 miles, turn left at the T intersection, then bear right through two forks to Lester B. Orcutt Boulevard, following it to the point. The gate entrance is on the left side. Parking is permitted along the street. The facility: Active U.S. Coast Guard aid to navigation, licensed to: Friends of Wood Island Lighthouse. Lighthouse built in 1858. Light is alternating white and green flashes every 10 seconds.

Pumpkin Island Light

Location: Eggemoggin Reach / Penobscot Bay

Accessibility: The island and lighthouse are not open to the public. For the best viewing location, turn right on Eggemoggin Road just after crossing the bridge to Little Deer Isle and continue to the end. The facility: Lighthouse built in 1854.

Squirrel Point Lighthouse

Location: Arrowsic Island, Kennebec River

Accessibility: The lighthouse is not open to the public, but the station is accessible via a trail at the end of Bald Head Road in Arrowsic. Views are also available from cruises in the area. The facility: Active U.S. Coast Guard aid to navigation. Station established in 1898. Light flashes alternating three seconds red, three seconds darkness, with a white sector; fog signal is one blast every 10 seconds.

Mark Island Light (Deer Island Thorofare Light)

Location: Mark Island, Deer Island Thorofare

Accessibility: The lighthouse is not open to the public and is best seen by boat. The facility: Active U.S. Coast Guard aid to navigation. Lighthouse built in 1857. Light flashes white every six seconds; fog signal is one blast every 15 seconds.

Doubling Point Lighthouse

Location: Arrowsic Island, Kennebec River

Accessibility: The grounds are open to the public, but the lighthouse and keeper's house are not. Limited parking at the lighthouse station. The lighthouse can be seen from sightseeing cruises in the area. The facility: Lighthouse built in 1898. Light flashes white every four seconds.

Saddleback Ledge Lighthouse

Location: Isle au Haut Bay

Accessibility: The lighthouse is not open to the public. It is best seen by boat.
The facility: Active U.S. Coast Guard aid to navigation. Lighthouse built in 1839. Light flashes white every six seconds; fog signal is one blast every 10 seconds.

Eagle Island Lighthouse

Location: East Penobscot Bay

Accessibility: The lighthouse is not open to the public. It is best seen by boat. The facility: Active U.S. Coast Guard aid to navigation. Lighthouse built in 1838. Light flashes white every four seconds.

Petit Manan Lighthouse

Petit Manan Island Near Milbridge, ME Phone: 207-546-2124

Location: Off Petit Manan Point

Accessibility: The lighthouse is not open to the public and is best seen by boat. The facility: Active U.S. Coast Guard aid to navigation; the island is part of the Maine Coastal Islands National Wildlife Refuge (207-546-2124). Lighthouse built in 1855. Light flashes white every 10 seconds; fog signal is one blast every 30 seconds.

Goose Rocks Lighthouse

Location: Fox Islands Thorofare, Penobscot Bay

Accessibility: The lighthouse is not open to the public; it is best seen by boat. The facility: Active U.S. Coast Guard aid to navigation. Lighthouse built in 1890. Light flashes red every six seconds with a white sector; fog signal is one blast every 10 seconds.

Portland Breakwater Lighthouse

Location: Entrance to Portland Harbor and the Fore River

Accessibility: The lighthouse is not open to the public. There is free parking near the lighthouse at Bug Light Park in South Portland. The facility: Lighthouse built in 1875. Light flashes white every four seconds. Managed by the city of South Portland (207-767-3201).

Narraguagus (Pond Island) Light

Location: Pond Island, Narragaugus Bay

Accessibility: Lighthouse is privately owned and is not open to the public. It is best viewed by boat. The facility: Lighthouse built in 1853.

Bear Island Lighthouse

Accessibility: The lighthouse is not open to the public. It is best viewed by boat. The facility: Present lighthouse built in 1889; discontinued in 1982; relighted as automatic private aid to navigation in 1989. Light flashes white every five seconds.

Libby Island Lighthouse

Location: Machias Bay entrance

Accessibility: The lighthouse is not open to the public and is best seen by boat.
The facility: Active U.S. Coast Guard aid to navigation. Maintained by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service; part of the Maine Coastal Islands National Wildlife Refuge (207-546-2124). Lighthouse built in 1824. Light flashes two white flashes every 20 seconds; fog signal is one blast every 15 seconds

Brown's Head Lighthouse

Location: Northwest end of Vinalhaven Island

Accessibility: The lighthouse is the residence of the Vinalhaven town manager. The grounds are open to the public, but the lighthouse is not. The facility: Active U.S. Coast Guard aid to navigation. Lighthouse built in 1857. Light is fixed white with two red sectors; fog signal is one blast every 10 seconds.

West Quoddy Head Light

Location: Easternmost point in the United States in the Bay of Fundy

Accessibility: A visitors center and museum is located in the keeper’s house and is run by the West Quoddy Head Light Keepers Association. The center and museum is open Memorial Day weekend through mid-October, daily, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Call 207-733-2180. There is parking in West Quoddy State Park, a short walk from the lighthouse. The lighthouse tower is not open to the public. The facility: Active U.S. Coast Guard aid to navigation; property maintained by Maine Department of Parks and Land. Lighthouse built in 1858. Light flashes two white flashes every 15 seconds; fog signal is two blasts every 30 seconds.

Baker Island Light

Location: in Acadia National Park

Accessibility: Lighthouse tower is not open to the public. The facility: Baker Island is accessible only by boat. The Bar Harbor Whale Watch Company offers a tour. Lighthouse built in 1855 and automated in 1966. An 1855 keeper’s house still stands. Light flashes white every 10 seconds.

Lubec Channel Lighthouse

Location: Lubec Channel

Accessibility: Not open to the public.
The facility: Active U.S. Coast Guard aid to navigation. The lighthouse can be seen distantly from shore and is best seen by boat. Present lighthouse built in 1890 and automated in 1939. Lighthouse flashes white every six seconds; fog signal is one blast every 15 seconds.

Heron Neck Lighthouse

Location: Greens Island, entrance to Hurricane Sound

Accessibility: The lighthouse is not open to the public; it is best viewed by boat. The facility: Active U.S. Coast aid to navigation. Maintained by Island Institute (207-594-9209). Lighthouse built in 1854. Light is fixed red with a white sector; fog signal is one blast every 30 seconds.

Moose Peak Light on Mistake Island

Location: Mistake Island

Accessibility: The lighthouse is not open to the public. It is best seen by boat; a distant view is possible from Great Wass Island. The facility: Active U.S. Coast Guard aid to navigation. Lighthouse built: 1851. Light flashes white every 30 seconds; fog signal is two blasts every 30 seconds.

Dice (Dyce) Head Light

Location: Mouth of the Penobscot River

Accessibility: There is limited parking near the lighthouse and the grounds are open during the day. The lighthouse is not open to the public. The facility: Property is maintained by the town of Castine (207-326-4502). Lighthouse built in 1829.

Little River Lighthouse

Location: Little River Island, Cutler Harbor

Accessibility: Little River Lighthouse is now open for overnight stays.The facility: U.S. Coast Guard aid to navigation. Lighthouse built in 1876. Light flashes white every six seconds; fog signal is one blast every 10 seconds. Information: 207-259-3833 or visit www.LittleRiverLight.org.

Grindel Point Lighthouse and Sailors' Memorial Museum

Location: Gilkey Harbor Islesboro, ME, 04848 Phone: 207-734-2253

Accessibility: Islesboro can be reached via ferry from Lincolnville Beach. The lighthouse is close to the ferry landing. The Sailor’s Memorial Museum in the keeper's house is maintained by the town of Islesboro (207-734-2253). The facility: Active U.S. Coast Guard aid to navigation. Lighthouse built in 1874. Light flashes green every four seconds.

Cape Elizabeth Lighthouse

Location: Entrance to Casco Bay

Accessibility: The keeper's house is privately owned; the lighthouse and grounds are not open to the public. Views are available at the end of Two Lights Road (turn at the Two Lights State Park sign on Route 77), but parking can be difficult in summer. The facility: Active U.S. Coast Guard aid to navigation. Lighthouse built in 1874. Light flashes four white flashes every 15 seconds; fog signal is two blasts every 60 seconds.

Seguin Lighthouse

Location: About 1.5 miles south of the mouth of the Kennebec River, near Popham Beach

Accessibility: The island is open to private boaters, and there are cruises available from Bath, Freeport and Popham Beach. The lighthouse is open for occasional tours. The facility: Active U.S. Coast Guard aid to navigation Property maintained by the Friends of Seguin Island, Inc. Lighthouse built in 1857. Light is fixed white; fog signal is two blasts every 20 seconds.

Perkins Island Lighthouse

Location: Perkins Island, Kennebec River

Accessibility: The island is reached by boat only. The tower and buildings are closed to the public. The station is best seen from sightseeing cruises in the area. The facility: Lighthouse built in 1898. Light flashes red every 2.5 seconds with two white sectors.

Franklin Island Lighthouse

Location: Muscongus Bay

Accessibility: By boat only. The lighthouse is not open to the public. The facility: Active U.S. Coast Guard aid to navigation. Franklin Island is part of: Maine Coastal Islands National Wildlife Refuge (207-546-2124). Lighthouse built in 1855. Light flashes white every six seconds.

Boon Island Light

Location: About 6 miles east southeast of Cape Neddick

Accessibility: The lighthouse is not open to the public. Access is by boat only, and it is very difficult to land on the island. The facility: Active U.S. Coast Guard aid to navigation. The lighthouse can be seen distantly from points along the shore, including Sohier Park at Cape Neddick in York, but it is best seen by boat. Lighthouse built in 1855. Light flashes white every five seconds; fog signal is one blast every 10 seconds.

Isle au Haut Light

Location: Robinson Point, Isle au Haut Thorofare Isle au Haut, ME Phone:

Accessibility: The grounds are open to the public. Isle au Haut is accessible by ferry from Stonington. The lighthouse is not open to the public. The facility: Active U.S. Coast Guard aid to navigation. The keeper's house is operated as a bed and breakfast inn. Information: Jeff and Judi Burke at 207-367-2261. Lighthouse built in 1907. Light flashes red every four seconds with a white sector.

Curtis Island Lighthouse

Location: Camden Harbor

Accessibility: The island is a public park but is accessible only by boat. The lighthouse is not open to the public. The lighthouse is most easily seen from sightseeing cruises leaving Camden Harbor. The facility: Active U.S. Coast Guard aid to navigation. Maintained by the town of Camden (207-236-3353). Lighthouse built in 1896. Light is occulting green, four seconds (four seconds of green followed by one second of darkness).

Cape Neddick ("Nubble") Light

Nubble Road York, ME Phone:

Location: Cape Neddick, near entrance to York River

Accessibility: The lighthouse and grounds are not open to the public. Directions: Follow Nubble Road east from Route 1A (Long Beach Ave.) in York, near Long Sands Beach, for about 1 mile to Sohier Park. There is free parking at Sohier Park with an excellent view of the lighthouse. The facility: Lighthouse built in 1879. Light flashes three seconds red alternating with three seconds darkness; fog signal is one blast every 10 seconds.

Burnt Coat Harbor Light (Hockamock Head Light)

Location: Hockamock Head, Swans Island

Accessibility: The grounds are open to the public; the lighthouse is not. Swans Island is reached by ferry from Bass Harbor. Information: 207-526-4279. The facility: Active U.S. Coast Guard aid to navigation. Lighthouse built in 1872. Light flashes every four seconds.

Pemaquid Point Lighthouse

Location: Entrance to Muscongus Bay and John Bay Bristol, ME, 04558 Phone:

Accessibility: Tower is open to the public daily, Memorial Day to Columbus Day, 1-5 p.m. The tower might be closed on rainy days or if there are no volunteers available.
Directions: From US Route 1 in Damariscotta, take ME 130 south to Bristol (about 14.5 miles). The route leads to the parking lot (small fee) at Pemaquid Point. The Fishermen's Museum is located in the keeper’s house. Contact the museum at 207-677-2494. Note: Visitors should be careful not to go too far out on the rocks -- people have been seriously injured and a few have been killed by waves. The facility:Lighthouse built in 1835. Light flashes white every six seconds.

Whaleback Lighthouse

Location: Portsmouth (New Hampshire) Harbor

Accessibility: This lighthouse can be seen from many spots on shore, including Fort McClary and Fort Foster in Kittery, Fort Constitution in Portsmouth, NH, and Great Island Common in New Castle, NH. The lighthouse is accessible only by boat and is closed to the public.
The facility: Lighthouse built in 1872. Light flashes two white flashes every 10 seconds; fog signal is two blasts every 30 seconds.

Prospect Harbor (Point) Lighthouse

Location: Prospect Harbor Point

Accessibility: The lighthouse is on a Navy base and is not open to the public except for occasional special events. It can be seen across the harbor from Route 186 in Prospect Harbor. You can also drive to the entrance of the Navy installation at the end of Lighthouse Point Road off ME 195 for a good view of the lighthouse. The facility: Lighthouse built in 1891. Light flashes red every six seconds with two white sectors.

Ram Island Lighthouse

Location: Fisherman's Passage, Boothbay Harbor

Accessibility: The grounds are open by appointment; call 207-882-9721. The station is best seen from cruises leaving Boothbay Harbor and the Maine Maritime Museum in Bath. The facility: Active U.S. Coast Guard aid to navigation. Lighthouse built in 1883. Light flashes three seconds red alternating with three seconds darkness; fog signal is one blast every 30 seconds.

Portland Head Light and Museum

1000 Shore Road Cape Elizabeth, ME, 04107 Phone: 207- 799-2661

Location: Portland Harbor / Casco Bay

Accessibility: The lighthouse tower is not open to the public, but there is a museum in the keeper's house at 1000 Shore Road. Phone: 207- 799-2661. The museum contains a number of lighthouse lenses and interpretative displays. Also on the site is a seasonal shop featuring lighthouse and Maine-related gifts. Free parking at the site.
The facility: Active U.S. Coast Guard aid to navigation. Lighthouse built in 1791. Light flashes white every four seconds; fog signal is one blast every 15 seconds.

Goat Island Light

Location: Cape Porpoise Harbor

Accessibilty: The island is accessible by boat only. The island and lighthouse are not open to the public except by special arrangement. The facility: Active U.S. Coast Guard aid to navigation. Buildings and grounds managed by the Kennebunkport Conservation Trust. Lighthouse built in1859. Light slashes white every six seconds; fog signal is one blast every 15 seconds.

Winter Harbor Lighthouse

Location: Mark Island, Winter Harbor

Accessibility: The lighthouse is not open to the public; it is best seen by boat. It can be seen distantly from the roadside on the Schoodic Peninsula. The facility: Lighthouse built in 1856.

Indian Island Lighthouse

Location: Rockport Harbor, Penobscot Bay

Accessibility: The lighthouse is privately owned and is not open to the public. It is best seen from Rockport Marine Park and from cruises in the area. The facility: Lighthouse built in 1875.

Egg Rock Lighthouse

Location: Entrance to Frenchman Bay

Accessibility: The lighthouse is not open to the public and is best viewed by boat. The facility: Active U.S. Coast Guard aid to navigation. Maintained by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service as part of the Maine Coastal Islands National Wildlife Refuge (207-546-2124). Lighthouse built in 1875. Light flashes red every five seconds; fog signal is two blasts every 30 seconds.

Mount Desert Rock Light

Location: About 20 miles south of Mount Desert Island

Accessibility: The lighthouse is used as a whale research station and is not open to the public. It is best viewed by boat. The facility: Lighthouse built in 1847. Light flashes white every 15 seconds; fog signal is two blasts every 30 seconds, operating continuously.

Rockland Breakwater Lighthouse

Location: Jameson Point, Rockland Harbor

Accessibility:The lighthouse is at the end of a 7/8-mile-long breakwater. It is open weekends in summer from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. For more information, contact the Friends of the Rockland Breakwater Lighthouse at 207-785-4609.
The facility:Active U.S. Coast Guard aid to navigation. Lighthouse built in 1902. Light flashes white every five seconds; fog signal is one blast every 15 seconds.

Pond Island Lighthouse

Near Popham Beach

Accessibility: The lighthouse is not open to the public. The island can be reached only by boat, and landing is very difficult. The best views are from sightseeing cruises in the area. The facility: Active U.S. Coast Guard aid to navigation; island managed by U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (207-546-2124). Lighthouse built: 1855. Fog signal is two blasts every 30 seconds.

Owls Head Light House

Owls Head Light State Park Owls Head, ME Phone: 207-941-4014

Location: West Penobscot Bay, entrance to Rockland Harbor

Accessibility: The lighthouse is located in Owls Head Light State Park. There is a large parking area near the lighthouse, and the grounds are open to the public. The lighthouse and keeper's house are not open to the public. The facility: Lighthouse built in 1825. Light flashes fixed white; fog signal is two blasts every 20 seconds.

Monhegan Island Light and Museum

1 Lighthouse Hill Monhegan, ME, 04852 Phone: 207-596-7003

Accessibility: The lighthouse grounds and the Monhegan Historical and Cultural Museum in the keeper's house are open to the public. The museum is open daily, July 1-August 31, 11:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m.; June 23-June 30 and September 1-September 30, 12:30-2:30 p.m.
The facility: Active U.S. Coast Guard aid to navigation. Present lighthouse built in 1850. Light flashes white every 15 seconds. The Monhegan Museum in the keeper's house, maintained by Monhegan Historical and Cultural Museum Association, displays a wide variety of exhibits relevant to the natural, social, industrial, cultural, and artistic history of Monhegan. Exhibit topics include lobstering and fishing, early Indian life, European explorers, early settlers, shipwrecks, domestic life, paintings by the island art community; and ice cutting.

Matinicus Rock Lighthouse

Location: About five miles from Matinicus Island, Penobscot Bay

Accessibility: The island is maintained as a bird sanctuary and access is very limited. The facility: Active U.S. Coast Guard aid to navigation; the lighthouse station is owned by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. Lighthouse built in 1857; Light flashes white every 10 seconds; fog signal is one blast every 15 seconds.

Halfway Rock Lighthouse

Location: Casco Bay, eastern approach to Portland Harbor

Accessibility: The lighthouse is not open to the public. It can be reached only by boat or helicopter, and landing a boat is very difficult. It can be seen distantly from Land's End at the southern tip of Bailey Island. The facility: Active U.S. Coast Guard aid to navigation Lighthouse built in 1871. Light flashes red every five seconds; fog signal is two blasts every 30 seconds.

Fort Point Lighthouse

Location: Mouth of the Penobscot River

Accessibility: This lighthouse is part of historic Fort Point State Park, on the mouth of the Penobscot River. There is free parking near the lighthouse and Fort Pownall, within Fort Point State Historic Site. The lighthouse is not open except by prior arrangement.
The facility:
Active U.S. Coast Guard aid to navigation. Managed by Fort Point State Historic Site (207-567-3356). Lighthouse built in 1857. Light is fixed white; fog signal is one blast every 10 seconds.

Whitlock's Mill Lighthouse

Location: St. Croix River

Accessibility: The lighthouse is not open to the public; it is best seen by boat. It can be seen distantly from a roadside picnic area on Route 1. The facility: Active U.S. Coast Guard aid to navigation, maintained by St. Croix Historical Society at 207-454-2604. Lighthouse built in 1910. Light flashes three seconds of green alternating with three seconds of darkness.

Blue Hill Bay Lighthouse

Location: Green Island, Blue Hill Bay

Accessibility: The lighthouse and island are privately owned and are not open to the public. Best seen by boat. The facility: Lighthouse built in 1857.

Nash Island Light

Location: Southeast mouth of Pleasant Bay

Accessibility: The lighthouse is best viewed by boat. The facility: Lighthouse built in 1873.

Burnt Island Lighthouse

Location: Entrance to Boothbay Harbor

Accessibility: Grounds only are open to the public. A three-hour public tour and educational program is offered June 28 to September 3, Monday through Friday, 10 a.m. and 12:45 p.m. Balmy Days Cruises at Pier 8 in Boothbay Harbor serves as the ferry to the island. Call 207-633-2284 for more information on the tours. Contact the Boothbay Harbor Region Chamber of Commerce at 207-633-2353 for information on other area cruises. Also, the Maine Maritime Museum in Bath offers cruises in summer; some of them land at Burnt Island. Call 207-443-1316 for information. The facility: Active U.S. Coast Guard aid to navigation. Lighthouse built in 1821. Light flashes red every six seconds; fog signal is one blast. Property is managed by the Maine Department of Marine Resources in West Boothbay Harbor (207-633-9559).

Bass Harbor Head Lighthouse

Lighthouse Road Bass Harbor, ME Phone:

Location: At the end of Lighthouse Road off Route 102A in Bass Harbor

Accessibility:The grounds are open to the public; the lighthouse is not. Grounds open all year, 9 a.m. to sunset; free parking. Information: The Tremont Historical Society conducts occasional tours of the lighthouse; call 207-244-9753. The facility: Active U.S. Coast Guard aid to navigation and Coast Guard housing. Lighthouse built in 1858 and automated in 1974. Keeper's house (1858) stands. Light signal is three seconds red, then one second darkness.

Hendricks Head Lighthouse

Location: Sheepscot River entrance

Accessibility: The lighthouse and grounds are not open to the public. Views are possible from a beach in West Southport. The facility: Active U.S. Coast Guard aid to navigation; property is privately owned. Lighthouse built in 1875. Light is fixed white with a red sector.

Whitehead Island Lighthouse

Location: Whitehead Island, Penobscot Bay

Accessibility: The lighthouse is best seen by boat. The lighthouse station is not open to the public except by special arrangement. The facility: Active U.S. Coast Guard aid to navigation. Maintained by Pine Island Camp (207-465 3031 or 207-729 7714). Lighthouse built in 1852. Light flashes green, eclipsed by black every 4 seconds; fog signal is two blasts every 30 seconds.

Spring Point Ledge Light

Location: West side of southern approach to Portland Harbor

Accessibility: Open to visitors June 16 through Labor Day weekend, Saturdays, 11 a.m.-3 p.m. Children less than 55 inches tall are not permitted inside the lighthouse. Climbing of narrow stairs and through hatches is required; tennis shoes or hiking shoes are recommended. Open house may be cancelled because of weather; for information, call 207-699-2676 to check. There is parking nearby, and the public may walk out on the breakwater to the lighthouse. The facility: Active U.S. Coast Guard aid to navigation. Station established in 1897. Light flashes white every six seconds with two red sectors; fog signal is one blast every 10 seconds.

Two Bush Island Lighthouse

Location: Two Bush Channel, Penobscot Bay

Accessibility: The lighthouse is not open to the public. The lighthouse is best viewed by boat. The facility: Active U.S. Coast Guard aid to navigation, maintained by U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service as part of Franklin Island National Wildlife Refuge (207-546-2124). Station established in 1897. Light flashes white every five seconds with a red sector; fog signal is one blast every 15 seconds.

Ram Island Ledge Light

Location: Approach to Portland Harbor, Casco Bay

Accessibility: The facility: Active U.S. Coast Guard aid to navigation. Lighthouse built in 1905. Light flashes two white flashes every six seconds; fog signal is one blast every 10 seconds.

Tenants Harbor Lighthouse (Southern Island Light)

Location: Southern Island, Tenants Harbor, Penobscot Bay

Accessibility: The island is privately owned and is not open to the public. It is best seen by boat. The facility: Lighthouse built in 1857.

Marshall Point Lighthouse and Museum

Location: Entrance to Port Clyde Harbor Port Clyde, ME, 04855 Phone:

Accessibility: The grounds are open to the public; the lighthouse is not open. Directions: From the intersection of Routes 1 and 131 it is 15.2 miles to Marshall Point. Take Route 131 and at mile 14.5 turn left off Route 131 at the blue Marshall Point directional sign, then right onto Marshall Point Road. Parking lot on the right before the lighthouse grounds. Museum hours: Weekends in May, 1-5 p.m.; Memorial Day through Columbus Day, Sunday-Friday, 1-5 p.m. and Saturdays, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Information: www.marshallpoint.org.
The facility: Located at entrance to Port Clyde Harbor. The nearest town is St. George. The Marshall Point Lighthouse Museum, on the same grounds as the lighthouse in Port Clyde, has exhibits on local quarry and bolstering history; lighthouse memorabilia; albums of local history; a gift shop offering local artwork and items by local craftsmen. Lighthouse built in 1857 and automated in 1971. Light is fixed and white; Fog signal is one blast every 10 seconds.