Western Lakes & Mountains: Hotels & inns on Rangeley Lake for outdoor sports
Western Lakes & Mountains: Welcome to remote, forested beauty
This region, an extension of the majestic White Mountains into Maine, is a place of great scenic beauty, accompanied by a full palette of outdoor sports in every season of the year, from cycling, hiking, golfing, and camping in spring and summer to leaf-peaking, skiing, and snowmobiling in fall and winter. All manner of water sports are done on the region’s lakes. Rangeley Lake State Park consists of 869 remote acres on the 10-square-mile lake, which is famous for landlocked salmon and trout fishing.
Another prime spot for outdoors people is the 3,000-acre Grafton Notch State Park, between Newry and Upton, where people can sightsee, picnic, and hike on 3,000 acres of beautiful natural terrain. Beauties of the park include the glacier-made Screw Auger Falls and Mother Walker Falls, Moose Cave, and Spruce Meadow. The Appalachian Trail passes through the park on the way to the trail’s northern terminus at Mount Katahdin. Between Naples and South Casco is Sebago Lake State Park. The park’s 1,400 acres features sandy beaches, extensive woodlands, swimming, sport fishing, camping and boating. The 250-site campground is popular with families and children. Snowmobilers will find groomed trails throughout the region.
The town of Fryeburg, one of the oldest in the region, is best known for its large fall agricultural fair, but a visit to the town also makes a fine day trip. Fryeburg boasts 11 buildings listed on the National Register of Historic Places and 12 public parks, which offer picnicking, bird watching, swimming, tennis, or fishing. A great activity in Fryeburg is taking a canoe or kayak trip on the slow-moving Saco River; businesses in town can provide visitors with all the necessary gear. A short hike up Jockey Cap Trail near Fryeburg gives visitors a view of dozens of distant peaks.
- Bar Harbor Music Festival 2017 - Bar Harbor, ME
- Bowdoin International Music Festival 2017 - Brunswick, ME
- Embellishments in Victorian Fashion exhibit - Saco, ME
- Daily Guided Canoe Tours with Maine Audubon - Scarborough, ME
- Summer in the Park 2017 - Freeport,, ME
- The Bath Iron Works Story: a Trolley and Boat Tour - Bath, ME
- “My Father’s Dragon” - Monmouth, ME
- "Three Days of Rain" - Monmouth, ME
- "The Learned Ladies" by Moliere - Monmouth, ME
- “Indoor/Outdoor” by Kenny Finkle - Harrison, ME
- “Bullets Over Broadway” - Ogunquit, ME
- “Disney’s Alice in Wonderland, Jr.” - Ogunquit, ME
- Barn Supper by Nebo Lodge at Turner Barn - North Haven Island, off the Coast of Rockland, ME