South Coast: Waterfront hotels & inns in Kittery, Ogunquit, & Old Orchard Beach.
South Coast ME: Sandy beaches, outlet shopping, paradise for kids
The South Coast of Maine, just a short hop from Boston, is a vacation paradise for adults, children, and anyone who loves sandy beaches, small New England towns, outlet shopping, and fresh lobster. The well-known towns of the area include the Yorks, Wells, Ogunquit, the Kennebunks, and Old Orchard Beach. Among the pleasures of the whole region are the chance to explore lighthouses, rocky shores, and boutiques; to dine on lobster and other seafood delicacies; and to shop at antique stores, quaint stores, and outlets. The South Coast has plenty of joys for adults, and it is also perfect for children and families. Old Orchard Beach in particular is an old-fashioned, family-oriented beach with a boardwalk, amusement park, and a welcoming attitude toward the kids.
Kittery is the location of the Kittery Outlets, a huge draw for bargain-hunters from hundreds of miles around. The town, settled in 1632, has many old homes and a variety of fine architecture. This coastal town has long been a gathering place for summer tourists for more than a century. Like Kittery, the town of Kennebunkport first prospered as a shipbuilding center and was discovered in the late 1800s by affluent summer visitors. Kennebunkport is full of fine dining establishments and high-end accommodations, but it is possible to find moderately price lodgings and food. A must-see attraction is a scenic drive along Ocean Avenue, with majestic views of the Maine coastline and the palatial homes of Kennebunkport’s elite residents.
Ogunquit, another lovely town of the region, is the place to visit the galleries. Save an afternoon to walk the famed Marginal Way, which travels along the coast from Perkins Cove to Ogunquit Beach. Other entertainments in Ogunquit include the Ogunquit Museum of American Art and the Ogunquit Playhouse, a grand old summer-stock theater.
- Bar Harbor Music Festival 2017 - Bar Harbor, ME
- Bowdoin International Music Festival 2017 - Brunswick, ME
- Embellishments in Victorian Fashion exhibit - Saco, ME
- Daily Guided Canoe Tours with Maine Audubon - Scarborough, ME
- Summer in the Park 2017 - Freeport,, ME
- The Bath Iron Works Story: a Trolley and Boat Tour - Bath, ME
- “My Father’s Dragon” - Monmouth, ME
- "Three Days of Rain" - Monmouth, ME
- "The Learned Ladies" by Moliere - Monmouth, ME
- “Indoor/Outdoor” by Kenny Finkle - Harrison, ME
- “Bullets Over Broadway” - Ogunquit, ME
- “Disney’s Alice in Wonderland, Jr.” - Ogunquit, ME
- Barn Supper by Nebo Lodge at Turner Barn - North Haven Island, off the Coast of Rockland, ME