Town Clerk, 263 Mountain Road Harpswell, ME Phone: 207-833-5822

The Town of Harpswell issues annual recreational shellfish licenses to Harpswell residents and non-residents. Licenses are valid from April 1 to March 31. Applicants must appear in person to fill out an application. Non-resident licenses are picked by lottery at a rate of one for every ten resident licenses sold. Non-residents can sign up for the lottery starting March 15 in person at the Town Clerk’s office.
Fee: Residents and taxpayers, $10; non-residents, $20
License application
Shellfishing guidelines

Freeport Town Hall, 30 Main Street Freeport, ME Phone: 207-865-4800

All flats bordering the Wolf’s Neck State Park as of December 8, 1983 are now under the jurisdiction of the Freeport Shellfish Conservation Ordinance. Recreational digging for shell fish in Wolf’s Neck State Park does not require a recreational license.
The town issues a resident recreational shellfish license, a nonresident recreational shellfish license, and a limited recreational shellfish license, which applies to one day of fishing. Recreational licenses (except for the limited license) are in effect July 1 through June 30. Licenses are issued by the Town Clerk.
Fees: Resident Recreational, $11; Nonresident Recreational, $22; Limited Recreational, $15. Fee are waived for people age 70 and older. A recreational license is not required for a digger under 12 years of age to engage in recreational clam harvesting. A surcharge of $5 for water quality testing costs is charged to all recreational licenses.
Closures: The Shellfish Hotline at 207-865-2904 is always kept up-to-date on current closure information. If you are not familiar with the geographic information or the local names of places in town, maps posted in the lobby of the Police Department, 16 Main Street, and the Town Hall, 30 Main Street, for the closures. Or you may contact the shellfish warden through the police department at 207-865-4800.

Brunswick Town Hall, 85 Union Street Brunswick, ME Phone: 207-725-6658

Recreational Shellfish Licenses are available to residents and nonresidents. The license is good for one year period beginning the first Monday in April. Applicants must appear in person to fill out an application. The number of available licenses is set annually; non-resident licenses are issued at a rate of one for every ten sold to residents, and the non-resident must get on a waiting list by applying in person at the Town Clerk’s office. Click here for a license application (PDF)
Fees: Residents, $25; free for people age 62 and older. Non-residents, $50; free for people age 62 and older.

The towns of Boothbay, Boothbay Harbor, Southport & Edgecomb have a joint shellfish management plan.
Fees: $7 per year for residents and non-residents. Licensing year runs from June 1 to May 31. Purchase a license during office hours from the town clerk at any of the four town halls. Shellfish Warden is Nicholas Upham. Phone: 207-380-5635.
Boothbay Harbor Town Clerk, 11 Howard Street, Boothbay Harbor (207-633-7714)
Boothbay Town Clerk, 1011 Wiscasset Road, Boothbay (207-633-2051)
Southport Town Clerk, 361 Hendricks Hill Road, Southport (207-633-6311)
Edgecomb Town Selectman, ME Route 27 (207-882-7018)